Come home to Highland!
WHAT CAN I RECYCLE?
The following recyclable materials will be collected in the curbside container:
• Newspapers, magazines, catalogs
• Corrugated cardboard, phone books
• Chip board: cereal boxes, gift boxes
• Junk mail: colored paper, envelopes
• White paper
• All plastics # 1-7
• Glass bottles: green, brown, clear
• Aluminum and bi-metal cans
The following items are not accepted for recycling:
• Light bulbs
• Plastic toys
• Aerosol spray cans
• Window glass, mirrors,
• Rubber products, fabrics, wood,
• Paint or chemical containers
HIGHLAND SOLID WASTE
COLLECTION SCHEDULE & FEES
The Town of Highland provides weekly curbside solid waste collection through a contract with Allied Waste. Collection day is every Tuesday for all single and two family residents and some quads by arrangement. Recycling is ever other Tuesday depending on where you live in town. The Tuesday pick-up day will be changed to Wednesday, whenever the following holidays occur on a Monday or a Tuesday:
New Year’s Day
Independence Day (July 4th)
All waste and recycling that is to be collected should be at the curb no later than 6 a.m. and no earlier than 5 p.m. the day before collection is scheduled. Containers and larger items should be placed out for collection at ground level no more than 15 from the side of the street. Recycling and refuse containers should be separated by at least three feet and should be placed with handles nearest the residence.
A monthly solid waste management fee included in your water utility bill supports:
• Collection and disposal of garbage and refuse.
• Collection and disposal of garbage and refuse that have been identified
as recyclable articles by the town.
• Collection and disposal of tree leaves is a service provided by the town
between October and December.
• On-demand collection and disposal of branches or fallen tree limbs
• Collection and disposal of large appliances. If the appliance contains Freon, there will
be an additional charge. Residents must call the curbside collection contractor, Allied
Waste, at least 24 hours prior to collection day at (219) 662-8600 or (800) 865-3078.